This can be source of endless entertainment, mainly for children and boys/men!
But it's NOT normal to look like you're 3-months pregnant after you have a meal!
What may appear to be a problem with the lower digestive system that is causing the gas and bloating is not the real problem - it's more what is going wrong with the UPPER digestive system...
Gas and bloating, which can also be accompanied by constipation, diarrhoea, pain and discomfort, is really caused from:
1. The foods you eat
2. How well, or more accurately, how badly your stomach is functioning to digest your meals.
If your stomach isn't working well, your meals are not going to be digested properly or fully, which then causes the following symptoms or issues:
1. Reduced absorption of nutrients, as you can't absorb food that has not been broken down, leading to nutrient deficiencies
2. FERMENTATION of the undigested food in the large intestine, as there's trillions of bacteria there
3. Fermentation of undigested foods produces GAS
4. Increased gas production from fermentation causes bloating
5. Bloating from fermentation causes pain, discomfort, and in some people, constipation or diarrhoea
6. Fermentation also produces ALCOHOL (!) in the large intestine, similar to fermentation in the making of wine, beer and spirits! The alcohol can be reabsorbed into the body to cause feelings of drunkeness including waking with a mild hangover, and some people produce so much alcohol in their gut that it can affect blood alcohol readings. Surprisingly, there is a real diagnosis for this, called "Auto Brewery Syndrome"!
My focus in my clinical practice is always to find all the root causes of health conditions and symptoms in each person, and to treat and fix all those root causes for long-term resolution and prevention. That's not the medical model, which is just about hiding the symptoms with medications, but medications never fix the root causes!
While lower tummy symptoms of gas and bloating etc are not caused by lower tummy issues, but more from your foods and stomach function, the stomach itself isn't the root cause either as there are many possible causes of poor stomach function. The true root causes of poor stomach function are many and need to be investigated, identified and treated. Simply taking probiotics will NOT prevent or fix this!
There's too many causes of poor stomach function that leads to lower tummy symptoms of gas and bloating and other issues, and therefore many possible recommendations or treatments. But if you, or someone in your family, delights in amusing people with excessive or toxic farts, or is embarrassed by them or the bloating, then they need to get some holistic treatments for long-term resolution.