The key to staying healthy this coming Winter is prevention and preparation!
As I said in my previous article, you don't catch a cold or flu because it's "going around"! You get one because your immune system isn't functioning at its optimum to protect you from them. By looking at what actually causes your immune system to not function well, we can easily see what you need to do (and what to avoid) in order to stay healthy in the cooler months!
Your immune system function is affected by:
1) Stress, emotional issues, moods and attitudes
2) Your diet - vitamin and mineral deficiencies, eating junk foods etc
3) Your lifestyle - smoking, alcohol, drugs
4) Hygiene habits - yours and others
5) Your environment
6) Toxins, pollution and chemical exposure
7) Medications - many drugs lower your immune system response, including NSAIDs, corticosteroids, antibiotics and other immunosuppressive medications
8) Poor quality or quantity sleep
9) Imbalance in your gut bacteria
10) Lack of sun exposure - and therefore a vitamin D deficiency.
Therefore these are the main causes of you getting a cold or flu! These are the things I help you with as a holistic nutritionist - to improve your immune system function from many different aspects, in a gentle, safe and natural way! There is no single way to prevent a cold or flu - it's a combination of actions that are required on multiple causative factors as listed above.
Not only will your immune system improve, but other symptoms and health conditions can be reduced or cleared by working on these causes too! That's how I can help you to improve your health.
Stay tuned for another article soon on preventing a cold and flu, where I will tell you what the 2 biggest causes of colds and flu are!