Here's a comparison of the past 5 years data (ABS, 2021a):
Year 2017 deaths: 160,909
Year 2018 deaths: 158,493
Year 2019 deaths: 169,301
Year 2020 deaths: 141,116
(28,000 deaths LESS in 2020 than from 2019)
Some official comments on the 2020 death statistics from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS, 2021a) include:
• 141,116 doctor certified deaths in 2020
• Some substantial differences in death numbers for some causes or diseases, including from cancer and diabetes
• Deaths due to respiratory disease were 16.2% LOWER than historical averages, for both chronic and acute respiratory diseases
• Influenza and pneumonia (a complication of flu and COVID-19) were 36% LOWER than historical averages
• Deaths due to heart diseases were below average for every month of 2020, and 10.7% LOWER than previous averages
• Deaths due to cancer, dementia and diabetes were HIGHER by 4%, 7.3% and 9.1%, no doubt due to reduced hospital access or changes in care due to COVID-19 restrictions
• The year 2020 had the LOWEST death rate of every year since 2009 (ABS, 2021b).
The Australian Government and media: "Nothing to see here..."
(I am reminded of the old "Charter boat" TV advert, for Australians who remember this?! Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UadHCpSjyew)
Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2021a). Provisional Mortality Statistics. Retrieved 1st April 2021 from https://www.abs.gov.au/.../provisional.../jan-dec-2020
Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2021b). Deaths, Year of registration, Summary data, Sex, States, Territories and Australia. Retrieved 1st April 2021 from http://stat.data.abs.gov.au/Index.aspx...