My philosophy in clinical practice is to:
1) Find the root causes of all health issues in a client
2) Treat all the root causes
3) Treat the whole body, on all aspects of health - physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and environmental.
To do this I need time - 90 minutes for the initial consultation, and 30-60 minutes for follow-up consultations. My consultations are much more detailed than the average 6 minutes your GP allocates to see you! The medical model is very different - mainly to prescribe medications which hide or suppress your symptoms, to make it look like there's nothing wrong. But the root causes are not identified or treated, the problem is still there, and actually will get worse over time or appear as symptoms or disease in another organ instead.
There's a LOT I need to find out about you, such as:
1) All of your current conditions or symptoms, when they started, how they affect you, their severity, what makes things better or worse, when and for how long the symptoms appear, and more
2) Detailed questioning and investigations into your stresses, energy, digestive function, sleep, hormones, lifestyle, and physical signs (skin, nails, posture, movement, tongue, eyes, and more)
3) Analysis of your weekly food diary, as our food choices (good or bad) contribute the most to how your body works and your health
4) Pathology results analysis, in a holistic and naturopathic way.
I use all this information to identify all the root causes, then design a personalised and prioritised treatment plan to treat all of the root causes. The treatment plan includes a range of holistic recommendations such as food and meal advice, nutritional and herbal supplements if needed, lifestyle advice, and further pathology testing or referral to other practitioners if more information is needed.
The advantage of being able to get to know clients, their health history and lifestyle in detail with longer consultation times, is that I can usually find many root causes which haven't been found or addressed previously. But this can come at a cost, in terms of the time required for clients in consultations, for me to put together this treatment plan, and the cost of these services. While Naturopathic services may seem to be expensive to some people, we are much cheaper than doctors, GPs, specialists, dentists, vets and other medical professionals for the time that we spend with you to work on improving your health!
I believe one of my best abilities is to identify all of the root causes of your health issues, and often find the causes when clients may not have had an answer (or successful treatment) in the past. I am very detailed and thorough in this!
In my next article I will introduce some exciting new services to my clinic!